It’s no secret that gender reveals are one of the hottest (and cutest) trends in the baby world. There are numerous ways to do it from colored frosting filled cakes and cupcakes to confetti filled balloons. I wanted to develop a super easy gender reveal cookie that could be done by anyone of any skill level.
Now, I know what you’re probably thinking but you don’t have to do the exact cookies I did. This technique can be used with any cookie dough (yes, even store bought)! Then, you can decorate them however you please. Slap on some store bought frosting and colored sprinkles, and you’ve got yourself a gender reveal cookie!
Here’s how I made the sugar cookie version:
- Make your dough (or buy it, I won’t tell!).
- Put on some rubber gloves and add food color to about 1/4 of the dough.
- Split the uncolored dough in half and roll both out very thin. My dough ended up being about 1/8 of an inch.
- Roll out the colored dough to the same thickness.
- Cut small shapes out of the colored dough. I chose to do small hearts because I’m a sucker for corny details, even though nobody would ever know they’re hearts. You can do any shape, as long as the shape is smaller than the shape of the main cookie cutter.
- Place the colored cutouts on top of one sheet of uncolored dough, then top with the other sheet of uncolored dough. Essentially, make a cookie dough sandwich.
- Gently press around the edges of where the colored dough is to slightly seal it.
- Use your main cookie cutter to cut around each spot where the colored dough was placed. By sandwiching the dough before you cut it, rather than the other way around, you get a cookie that is flat, is sealed completely, and has no sign of the surprise inside.
- Bake, decorate, and enjoy!